"The kind of food our minds devour will determine the kind of person we become." - John Stott, Your Mind Matters

Friday, October 15, 2010

Next Course: Books 6, 7 and 8

I've pretty much finished up with my current bookmeal books, and am now focusing on three new ones:

Book 6 - Discovering Biblical Equality: Complementarity Without Hierarchy, edited by Ronald W. Pierce, Rebecca Merrill Groothuis, and Gordon Fee
          I'm well into this book already, but have yet to write much about my thoughts. I'll be working to change that in the next few weeks.


Book 7 - Your Mind Matters: The Place of the Mind in the Christian Life, by John Stott
          This book addresses an issue which I have been forced to grapple with in recent years as I've encountered widely divergent views and approaches to the place of the intellect within the church and worship. I read the first chapter back in the spring (or was it last fall?) and loved it, so I've been anxious to get back to it and dig in. John Stott is yet another example of my favourite type of spiritual hero: scholarly, godly and able to speak profound truths in language that is accessible to the average joe. It's a short read (85 pp), so I'll probably tackle this first.

Book 8 - The Way is Made by Walking: A Pilgrimage Along the Camino de Santiago, by Arthur Paul Boers
          Again, I started this last year, and really enjoyed what I read so far. When I decided to do bookmeal, I knew it should be one of my books, so I set aside until then...that is, now.


(Click here for my earlier descriptions of Books 6 and 8)


It looks quite unlikely that I will finish my goal of twenty books this year, but that's okay. Life has sort of gotten in the way at times. Parenting, pregnancy, fatigue, laziness, and intermittent bouts of depression have all played a role, but the one constant has been this: when I can sit down and blog, I feel better. So, I'll press on and keep doing what I can, and enjoy the process without the stress of a hard deadline. Thanks for persevering with me!

Share

2 comments:

  1. This looks interesting. I look forward to discussing these books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too, Rebecca! I'd be happy to hear your thoughts along the way - books are so much better when discussed in community. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please be polite. If you would like to leave a comment without entering personal information online, you can choose the "Anonymous" option from the drop-down list. If you would like to be informed of follow-up comments on this post, click on the Subscribe By Email link to the bottom right (you must be logged into Google to do this). Thanks for commenting!